Education Committee Call
June 14, 2023
On the call: Chris Scally, Monica Dua, John Miura, Heather Lillemoe, Jessica Zagory. Ochun Farlice (staff, sitting in for JJ Jackman who’s traveling)
Fall Courses Update: Dr. Dua reported that the main planning group for the Courses are making some larger changes to the speaker line up – their overarching theme is to keep in mind that the courses are largely attended by residents (more so than early career faculty), and so try to more breakout sessions and more opportunities for the residents to interact with faculty.
The funding session was taken out and we’d like to add a talk for people potentially spending their academic development time or doing formal fellowship training in surgical education research. Suggested speakers:
- Yue-Yung Hu did the Clinical Trials talk last year – we will ask her again.
- Brian George for the Surgical Education Research session. Bridget Smith as a backup. Heather can ask him if he’ll do that and also ask him who he’d recommend for the Qualitative session, with Kurjeet(sp?) as back up. Amy Gardner as a suggestion for the qualitative session – could be hard to get.
- The Building Your Surgical Education Research Team session last year was a bit too broad – this is more Early Career than Resident.
- Applying for a Job as a Surgical Educator was suggested as a topic.
- Different roles that surgical educators take with regards to leadership – Heather had an idea for a speaker (former program director, now in charge of graduate education at Vanderbilt) who can speak to the various facets of being a leader.
- Building your Education Portfolio – Carla Terhune was suggested for this…maybe combine with How to bill yourself as a surgical educator – combine this with the portfolio building. Tania Arora as backup.
AAS Education Committee Call
May 10, 2023
On the call: Chris Scally (chair), Monica Dua (co-chair), Sophia McKinley, Heather Lillemoe, Danielle Sutzko, Gifty Kwakye. JJ Jackman (staff)
Committee tasks for the year and the folks who will be working on them:
FSRC: (speakers & topics for Education session at FSRC/Fall Courses)
- Faisal Aziz
- Heather Lillemoe
Mentor/Mentee Breakfast at the ASC:
- Mio Kitano
- Jessica Zagory
Resident Jeopardy at ASC: JJ will check with the resident committee (RAS) of the ACS for Jeopardy questions. We want to come up with new boards this year, and our tentative deadline for their completion is the week before Christmas, JJ needs to send a sample to Danielle and John, and will also talk to Catherine Sutherland on the SUS staff to see who on their side is also working on boards (typically we create 2 and they create 2).
- John Miura
- Danielle Sutzko
Reviews/Interviews for the AAS/AASF Trainee Research Fellowship Award – Education: Grant applications open up this month, review will begin around late August. Interviews will no longer be done in person at the ASC; rather we’ll conduct them in December or January ahead of the meeting.
- Gifty Kwakye
- Sean Dineen
- Monica Dua
- Chris Scally
Medical Student Committee: 590 med students attended the 2023 ASC…as this committee gets underway, we need to come up with a proposal for ways to organize med student events at the ASC, arrange mentor/career advice forums and guidance in applying to residencies – Proposed timeline: present our ideas at the 2023 Retreat in July and get a proposal to the ASC Program Committee this summer for any extra events or initiatives we want to launch at the 2024 ASC.
- Sophia McKinley
- Chris Scally
AAS Education Committee Meeting
Wednesday, April 5, 2023
Welcome/Introductions – Drs. Scally and Dua introduced themselves and asked the attendees to do the same. On the call: Christopher Scally (chair), Monica Dua (Co-chair), Sean Dineen, Danielle Sutzko, Jessica Zagory, Monica Jain. JJ Jackman (staff)
2023 Committee projects – volunteer solicitation: The Education Committee works on several projects each year, most of which are tied to the Academic Surgical Congress. We need volunteers for each of these projects – the descriptions are below, and a sign in sheet will be circulated.
- Fall Courses – This committee puts together the Fundamentals of Surgical Research Course. We need to identify and invite speakers, confirm attendance and sessions, etc.
- ASC Jeopardy – This committee, along with our SUS counterpart, work on creating the boards for the Resident Jeopardy game held each year at ASC. We’ve recycled a few boards over the past few years and its time to create some new ones.
- ASC Mentor-Mentee breakfast – held annually, this breakfast pairs established AAS members with residents, fellows and early career academic surgeons. The volunteers for this position will work with JJ to solicit mentors and mentees, and then to pair them together for the breakfast based on research interests or surgical specialty.
- AAS/AASF Trainee Fellowship Grant-Education – one of the fellowship awards AAS and AASF offer is a $30,000 one-year grant for an educational project. This committee will review and score these applications (typically we receive 8-12 each year) and will then interview the finalists to determine the recipient. Interviews used to be conducted at the ASC but have recently proved more efficient when conducted via zoom ahead of the Congress.
- NEW: Medical Student Committee – the creation of a committee for medical students considering a career in academic surgery was introduced during the 2023 ASC. Volunteers in this group would work with this committee (which will start as a taskforce) to organize med student events at the ASC, arrange mentor/career advice forums and guidance in applying to residencies.
Blog Schedule for 2023: All committee members are encouraged to contribute a blog during the year – it does not have to be exclusively Education focused, and committee members can also ask their residents to put one together. We ask that each committee post 6-8 blog articles each year. A sign-up sheet will be circulated, and committee members are asked to pick a month to contribute. Blog articles can also be turned into TweetChats.
COMMITTEE FOR 2023-2024
|Faisal||Aziz||Penn State Univ||Member||2022||2024|
|Sean||Dineen||Moffitt Cancer Center||Member||2022||2024|
|Monica||Jain||Cedars-Sinai Medical Center||Member||2022||2024|
|Mio||Kitano||UT Health San Antonio||Member||2022||2024|
|Heather||Lillemoe||Moffitt Cancer Center||Candidate Member||2022||2024|
|Gifty||Kwakye||University of Michigan||Member||2023||2025|
|John||Miura||University of Pennsylvania||Member||2023||2025|
|Jessica||Zagory||LSU Health Sciences Center||Member||2023||2025|