Application Opens: June 1, 2018
Application Deadline: August 6, 2018
Apply online at http://grants.aasurg.org/
Awarded annually to medical students considering pursuing a career in academic surgery.
The intent of these awards is to recognize outstanding research efforts by medical students and to encourage student interest in pursuing careers in academic surgery.
- The candidate must be a graduating senior medical student, receiving his/her medical degree between January and July 2019 and should be considering a career in academic surgery.
- Applicants must submit the application which includes a 250 word summary of their research project AND a letter from their mentor describing the student’s contributions to the project, the qualifications of the student, and the qualifications of the mentor.
- Six awards will be given, three for basic science projects and three for clinical/outcomes/health services/education research projects
- All six awardees will be invited to attend the Academic Surgical Congress being held February 5-7, 2019 in Houston, Texas and will receive complimentary registration and a $500 travel stipend.
- Complimentary Medical Student AAS membership for one year
- Award certificate presented at the AAS Awards Session during the Academic Surgical Congress
- Name published in the AAS Blog “The Academic Surgeon” and on the AAS Web Site
Daud Lodin, UC San Diego
David Cron, University of Michigan
Katherine He, University of Michigan
Nathan Brand, Columbia University School of Medicine
Sean McGuire, University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine
Previous Award Recipients:
2017 Alexis Chidi, University of Pittsburgh
2017 Zachary Obinna Enumah, Johns Hopkins University
2017 Gregory Kennedy, University of Pennsylvania
2017 Ambar Mehta, Johns Hopkins University
2017 Barbara Williams, UC Irvine
2017 Dor Yoeli, Baylor College of Medicine
2016 Anna Huguenard, Emory University
2016 Blake Henchcliffe, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
2016 Jason Pradarelli, University of Michigan
2016 Mohini Dasari, University of Pittsburgh
2016 Richard Guyer, Vanderbilt University
2016 S. Rae Rokosh, NYU School of Medicine
2015 James Tooley, Yale University
2015 Matthew Burstein, Baylor College of Medicine
2015 Frank Davis, University of Michigan
2015 Anna Garcia, Vanderbilt University
2015 Ben Biesterveld, Medical College of Wisconsin
2015 Tyler Merceron, Vanderbilt University