Benefits of AAS Membership
- Active and Candidate members are eligible to apply for annual and biannual research grants awarded by the society. These grants not only provide substantive funding for current research, the results may earn larger awards from other entities.
- All members are eligible for discounts on registration fees at the annual meetings.
- A subscription to the Journal of Surgical Research is included in the membership fees for Active members and available at a reduced price to Candidate and Senior members.
- Members have access to a searchable membership database available online.
- A quarterly email newsletter is sent via email to all members.
- Candidate members may attend the “Fundamentals of Surgical Research,” for a very low registration fee. This one-day course provides a blueprint for developing a successful research career as well as networking opportunities for participants.
- Annual meetings are structured to maximize interactions between colleagues and professionals. Surgeon scientists in all levels of their career attend the meeting, where networking is truly enjoyable as well as educational.
- Active members are eligible to become involved in the leadership of the society immediately, allowing members to acquire the necessary skills for association leadership.
For more information regarding AAS Membership, please contact Membership Services or call 310-437-1606
APPLICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP IS A ONE-STEP PROCESS!
SIMPLY COMPLETE OUR APPLICATION FORM – NO BACKUP DOCUMENTATION IS REQUIRED.
Just review the different levels of membership below to select the one that you are qualified for and then click on the “Fill Out An Application Form” button to begin the application.
- January review: December 15th
- April review: March 15th
- July review: June 15th
- October review: September 15th
To upgrade from Candidate Membership to Active Membership, please submit an application and mark the membership category “Upgrading to Active”. If there are any questions about the application process, please contact the Membership Dept at firstname.lastname@example.org
To download the membership brochure, please click here »
Individuals become eligible for Active Membership in the Association at the Chief Resident/Fellowship level of training, or upon accepting a faculty position in surgery or one of the surgical specialties. Also, basic science faculty members with an MD or Ph.D. who actively participate in surgical research are eligible for Active Membership.
Active Membership is offered to surgeons within 10 years of their first academic faculty appointment. Member dues are $300 per year and include a subscription to the Journal for Surgical Research.
Active Members outside of the US have the option to pay a reduced Membership fee of $250. These members will receive all the benefits of Active Membership, except the journal subscription. However, a subscription to the journal can be obtained at a discounted rate of $50 a year.
After 10 years of service, Active Members of AAS will proceed to Senior Membership.
Individuals over the age of forty may apply to be senior members. Senior Members may present at meetings and may participate as advisers and mentors, but do not vote at the annual business meeting and cannot hold office. Dues are $80 per year, and a subscription to the JSR can be added for a discounted rate of $50 a year.
Individuals who are not surgeons or faculty (i.e., are not eligible for active membership) are eligible for affiliate membership if they participate in surgical research or support another of the academic missions (e.g., education) of a Department of Surgery. The period of active Affiliate Membership shall last for a total of 10 years from the time the individual began completed their professional training. After 10 years, Affiliate Members superannuate to senior membership status. If an individual who otherwise qualifies for Affiliate Membership wishes to join more than 10 years after completing their professional training, they can apply as a senior member. Affiliate members do not participate in the Annual Business Meeting and are not eligible to participate in committees or serve on the Executive Council.
Dues are $80 per year, and a subscription to the JSR can be added for a discounted rate of $50 a year.
Surgical residents interested in pursuing an academic career may join the AAS. Dues are $30 per year, and a subscription to the JSR can be added for a discounted rate of $50 a year.
The AAS introduced Medical Student Membership in 2007. A medical student interested in pursuing a career in academic surgery is eligible for membership. Medical Student Members may participate fully in all the activities of the Association with the exception of voting. Annual dues for Medical Student Members are $15, and students may
subscribe to the JSR at a discounted rate of $50 a year. When the student becomes a surgical resident, the individual may then elect to apply for Candidate Membership.