AAS is now accepting entries for The AAS Ethics Committee Essay Contest 2021. The submission form, general rules and guidelines are below:
- Topic “What is the most challenging ethical issue, personal or professional, you have encountered in the COVID era?”
- Word limit 1000 words. No references allowed. Submit as MS Word document.
Guidelines for Authors:
- Please follow Journal of Surgical Research Ethics in publishing guidelines, as well as use of inclusive language found here: https://www.journalofsurgicalresearch.com/content/authorinfo
- Up to 3 authors accepted, at least one must be an active or candidate member of AAS
- Authors can be medical students, residents/fellows, as well as attending surgeons/ physicians or members of institutional ethics committee; diverse author teams are encouraged.
- Essay contest judges are not allowed to participate in this contest.
- Submissions will be reviewed by an independent panel of judges drawn from the AAS membership for a first and second position winner. The first position essay will receive a $1000 cash prize.
- The winning entry will be published in the Journal of Surgical Research October 2021. The top 3 entries will be published on the AAS blog.
- Winners will be asked to submit a brief 2-3 sentence biographic introduction including twitter handles, a recent professional headshot, as well as current affiliation
Important Dates/ Deadlines:
- Submission deadline: Wednesday, April 28, 2021; midnight Eastern time.
- The winners will be notified by electronic mail and announced via official AAS twitter handle (@academicsurgery) and AAS blogpost by midnight Eastern time, Monday, June 14, 2021