If you are interested in being a candidate for the position of President-Elect, Recorder or Treasurer, please visit the appropriate link below for more information, including descriptions of related responsibilities.
Per the AAS Constitution, anyone interested in serving in officer roles, should have served on the Executive Council for at least one year previously. Exceptions to this rule can be considered by the Nominating committee when necessary.
In brief, active AAS members who wish to be considered for an officer position, please apply using the Officer Self-Nomination Link.
Self-nominations must be submitted by 11:59pm CST on Monday, January 14, 2019 at which point they will be reviewed by the Nominating Committee. Statements of interest for officer positions are limited to one-half page or less.
AGAIN THIS YEAR, voting for the officer positions will take place electronically on Wednesday, February 6, 2019, during the AAS Business Meeting in Houston during the Academic Surgical Congress. More details about the voting process will be sent in a future email. As most of you are aware, there will also be a vote taken during the meeting regarding extending the period of Active AAS membership from ten years to twelve years beyond first faculty appointment. If this vote passes, current senior members may now qualify to run for an officer position. Anyone with questions regarding his/her eligibility should contact Christina Kasendorf at email@example.com.
In an effort to foster on-going transparency and increased institutional diversity, we are instituting an open call for self-nominations for the following available positions:
- Program Committee
- Publications Committee
- Chair, Basic and Translational Science Committee
- Co-Chair, Education Committee
- Co-Chair, Global Affairs Committee
- Co-Chair, Committee on Academic Advancement
- Co-Chair, Leadership Committee
- Co-Chair, Committee on Technology and Communications
- Co-Chair, Membership Committee
- Representative, Society of Black Academic Surgeons
If you are interested in being a candidate for any of the position above, review the committee and representative objectives.
Active members who wish to be considered for a council or committee position, please apply using this link: Council and Committee Self-Nomination Link
Only active AAS members are eligible for these committee/representative positions. Please remember that members may only serve on one committee/position at a time and members are also not eligible to serve on the same committee/position more than once. In addition, if you are interested in the representative position, you must be a current member of that society.
In your statement, please indicate:
- Why would you like to serve on this committee or serve as a representative
- If you are interested in one of the chair positions, specify why do you feel you would make a good chair/co-chair for the committee
- If you are interested in the Program or the Publication committees, specify
- Your area of scientific expertise (basic science research, clinical trials, outcomes/health services research, education research, global surgery, etc.)
- Your area of clinical expertise
- Your experience thus far serving as a manuscript reviewer for scientific journals
The deadline for submission for these committees/positions is
Monday, January 14, 2019 at 11:59pm CST.
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at the upcoming Academic Surgical Congress in Houston!
Adil Haider, MD, MPH
Amir Ghaferi, MD