The AAS Membership Committee is seeking self-nominations for the new position of INSTITUTIONAL REPRESENTATIVE. We are looking for 1 representative from each academic Department of Surgery to serve as a liaison to the AAS. Please submit a one-paragraph statement regarding your interest in the program and qualifications for the position by October 1, 2014.
The Institutional Representative Program (IRP) will serve to develop and enhance positive, productive relationships with each of the AAS member institutions. In conjunction with the institutions themselves, the IRP will designate an active AAS member from each academic Department of Surgery to assist in the recruitment and engagement of members to the AAS while communicating the needs of the institution to the AAS in order to maximize the benefits of AAS membership.
- To communicate:
- Distribute official communications including membership information to all surgery faculty at the Assistant and Associate Professor level, residents and medical students at your institution
- Send reminders re: abstract and meeting registration guidelines as they approach
- Submit a twice yearly short report of activities and suggestions to the AAS (Note: As the official institutional representative, you should communicate effectively, promptly, and judiciously, balancing information sharing with respect for others’ interests and time)
- Be involved:
- Regular attendance at Academic Surgical Congress
- Engage in AAS with self-nomination to committees
- Be proactive:
- Encourage abstract submission
- Encourage meeting participation for members of your department
- Assist in securing institutional-level membership
- The IR is encouraged to attend the informational/networking breakfast for the IRP at the ASC 2015
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICATION:
At the time of election the proposed Institutional Representative must:
- be within their first 10 years of faculty appointment
- be an AAS member in active status
The position will be a 2 year-term with an optional 2nd term at the discretion of the institution. The Institutional Representative will alert the Membership Committee when they transition out of Active AAS status so that a call for nominations can be arranged for the institution. Please complete an online application and include your statement of interest for Institutional Representative. If you have any questions, please contact the Membership Department.
Thank you for your interest! We appreciate and value your contribution.
The AAS Membership Committee