AAS/AASF Student Research Awards
The 2014 award application process is now closed. Information and application for the 2015 awards will be available here in late spring 2014.
Awarded annually to students who will graduate from medical school in the following calendar year.
The intent of these awards is to recognize outstanding research efforts by medical students and to encourage student interest in pursuing careers in academic surgery.
- Applicants must submit the application which includes a 250 word summary of their research project AND a letter from their mentor describing the student's contributions to the project, the qualifications of the student, and the qualifications of the mentor.
- The candidate must be a graduating senior medical student (receiving his/her medical degree between January and July of 2014) and be considering a career in academic surgery
- Six awards will be given, three for basic science projects and three for clinical/outcomes/health services/education research projects
- All six awardees will be invited to attend the Academic Surgical Congress being held February 4-6, 2014 in San Diego, CA and will receive complimentary registration and a $500 travel stipend to defray the costs of travel
- Complimentary medical student AAS membership for one year
- Award certificate presented at the AAS Awards Session during the Academic Surgical Congress
- Name published in the AAS newsletter and on the AAS Web Site
Congratulations to the 2014 AAS Student Research Award Winners:
- Muath Bishawi, Stony Brook School University School of Medicine
- Tosan Ehanire, Duke University
- Christopher Graffeo, NYU School of Medicine
- Calista Harbaugh, University of Michigan Health System
- Scott Maddalo, NYU School of Medicine
- Kyle Sheetz, University of Michigan Health System
Previous 2013 AAS Student Research Award Winners:
- David Harris, University of VA, Dept of CT Surgery
- Jay Lee, University of Michigan
- Arin Madenci, University of Michigan Medical School
- Rajshri Mainthia, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Nirmish Singla, University of Michigan
- Russell Witt, UC Davis
Previous 2012 AAS Student Research Award Winners:
- John W. Evankovich, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, Department of Surgery
- Shaun P. Patel, University of Michigan
- Brandi B. Scully, Baylor College of Medicine
- Swaroop Bommareddi, National Cancer Institute, NIH
- Matthew R. Naunheim, Center for Surgery and Public Health, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- J. Trent Magruder, Johns Hopkins Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center