AAS for Medical Students and Residents
The Association for Academic Surgery (AAS) offers tremendous opportunities for medical students interested in surgery and for residents beginning their surgical careers.
The AAS provides the following:
- A supportive environment for interactions between medical students, surgical trainees, junior faculty, and senior surgeons to facilitate both professional and research mentorship.
- Exposure to the most current basic science, translational, clinical, and educational research pertaining to academic surgery through the annual Academic Surgical Congress (ASC), the largest annual meeting of academic surgeons in the world.
- The opportunity to participate fully in the activities of the Association through committee appointments, networking events, and career development activities.
- The opportunity to compete for prestigious research and travel awards specifically aimed at students and residents.
- Research and Career Development training through the AAS Fall Courses.
Medical Student Membership – Medical student interested in pursuing a career in surgery are eligible for AAS Membership at a highly discounted rate of only $15 per year.
Candidate Membership – Surgical residents interested in pursuing an academic career may join the AAS. Dues are $30 per year and a subscription to the Journal of Surgical Research can be added for a discounted rate of $50 per year.
Active Membership – Senior residents may elect to join the Active Membership to become full voting members of the Association. Member dues are $300 per year and include a subscription to the Journal for Surgical Research."The AAS is a great organization for surgery residents, fellows or those just starting their practice. Participating in AAS helps us meet those people we want to emulate, gives us the chance to exchange ideas and experiences, and provides channels to collaborate on research. The AAS also gives me a unique perspective on what it means to be a young academic surgeon."